Cancer is the fourth astrological sign in the Zodiac. It is considered a water sign and one of four cardinal signs. Cancer is ruled by the Moon. Individuals born when the Sun is in this sign are considered Cancerian individuals. Under the tropical zodiac, the Sun enters Cancer on the moment of summer solstice by definition, or roughly on June 21, leaving by around July 21.
According to an ancient Greek legend, the figure of a crab was placed in the nighttime sky by the goddess Hera to form the constellation Cancer. Hera swore to kill Heracles, the most famous Greek hero. Hera attempted to kill Heracles in many different ways, but each time his incredible physical strength allowed him to survive. Hera cast a spell of madness on Heracles, causing him to commit a great crime. In order to be forgiven, he had to perform twelve difficult tasks. One of these tasks was destroying the terrible hundred-headed water-serpent, Hydra.
During the battle between Heracles and Hydra, the goddess Hera sent a crab to aid the serpent. But Heracles, being so strong, killed the crab by smashing its shell with his foot. As a reward for its service, Hera placed the crab's image in the night sky. However, there are many different stories regarding this; in one version, instead of Hera graciously placing it in the sky, Heracles kicked the crab to the stars.
In Synastry, the natives of Cancer are generally considered to be compatible with the natives of the other water signs Scorpio and Pisces, and the natives of the earth signs Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn. Aries and Libra are signs of the other nature (masculine/extroverted), but are considered semi-compatible with Cancer due to them having the same cardinal quality.
The least compatiable sign for Cancer is Sagittarius, while Aquarius is the sign's near-opposite, but Cancerians provide valuable friendship to Aquarians depending on their birth dates specifically. They are fairly compatible with adjacent signs Gemini and Leo, yet some level of tension with these zodiac signs could occur with Cancerians.
• Cancer keywords: intense, petulant, reclusive, shy, distanced, nostalgic, fractious, emotional, attached, parsimonious, coveting, jealous, conservative, traditional, loving, romantic, opinionated, judgemental, sincere, loyal, strident, sensual, sensitive, touched, sympathetic, sanctimonious, nationalistic, chauvinistic, equitable, tenacious, delusional, strong, intelligent, lover of food.
General astrological compatibility of Cancer with other signs
• Scorpio, Pisces, Taurus, Virgo - Highest Compatibility
• Capricorn - High Compatibility
• Libra - 50/50 compatibility
• Aries, Leo, Sagittarius, Gemini, Aquarius - Low compatibility